Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Growing into my very geeky job

When this blog first started I'd *just* been accepted into a University course in Creative writing and Criminology. I dropped the 'criminology' part, and focussed, instead, on Psychology for the five 'spare slots' that I had. That was just under two years ago - and last year, around this time, I finally worked out what I wanted to do when I graduated.
It's been a long path this year - because soon after I researched and discovered the fun that is my new carreer (and it's FUN with several invisible exclamation points after :D) I was quite badly injured - something I haven't - really - recovered from. But this week I finally, perfectly, married my love of writing with my love of psychology and crime, in a not unexpected (for me) way. And I'm hoping over the next couple of months that I can share it with you guys and other writers.

And that's why I'm so geeked out right now. I can do this - and I can teach it, and write about it, and talk about it passionately. It's growing, with my interest, and it's just about boundless.
And that's where I am. Training to be a forensic linguist 'by day', via a degree in Creative Writing and Psychology, and a postgrad diploma, and working on this 'by night'. I'll get to geek about it properly very soon, but until then I'm just delighted to get to take a run at it. Till then it's kinda hush hush, cause the platform is probably a 'one off' and I want to be fully ready to do it. But yay!

How's your summer looking?

5 comments:

Matha said...

Geeky indeed.
What's a forensic linguist Kai?

Kai said...

Hi Matha,
A forensic linguist is...complicated. Lol. We're a fairly new discipline that's sprung up out of the idea that everyone uses language slightly differently. In a legal context the job involves helping to 'translate' legal documents and make them clearer - we're also the people behind tracking down word criminals.
As a writer, I like the idea of unearthing the 'bones' of writing and seeing what makes the structure work - so there's that dimension too I guess ;)

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Joomla plugin development said...

This is one of the best informative post for me. And you have given nice presentation over this blog. This information is useful for me.
Thanks so much for this! This is exactly what I was looking for.
Joomla application development

Anonymous said...

This is a good site to spent time on .I just stumbled upon your informative blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.

web design company